Setting Out Two by Two
…he called the twelve and began to send them out two by two… Mark 6:7 (ESV) …the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them on ahead of him, two by two… Luke 10:1 (ESV)
A trend on the rise in the OPC is married couples or pairs of friends setting out “two by two” in response to the need for volunteers on a foreign or domestic short-term mission or disaster response field.
In the last few years, husband and wife teams have:
- Coordinated hurricane relief efforts in Houston and North Carolina
- Rebuilt the kitchen and installed laminate flooring at the Keys OPC facility in Key West, Florida
- Rebuilt the master bath at the Neon OPC manse in Neon, Kentucky
- Served as House Parents for the summer at the Boardwalk Chapel in Wildwood, New Jersey
- Helped present the English Club outreach program in Montevideo, Uruguay
- Cataloged and organized the Reformation Book Room in Mbale, Uganda
A father and son team helped lead the English for Teens Bible Camping trip in Quebec; a father and daughter team served alongside two husband and wife teams rebuilding the kitchen at Keys OPC.
Two-man teams have traveled to Uganda to make missionary home upgrades and repairs; a two-man team from Wisconsin travels to Haiti on a regular basis to perform a variety of maintenance projects.
Short-term missions does not just have to mean joining a large established team or trip. More and more friends and couples are finding opportunities to serve as a team of two!